Parade as protests?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parade as protests?

I have read that the LGBT March Parade is a way to protest. I was wondering why it is still a protest when they should already be considering it to be a victory party. I know that in some other parts of the world, members of those groups are still discriminated but other countries have already made so much progress that even laws have been passed to protect and improve the interests of those people. Is it time to change the purpose of the parade from protest to celebration?

I don't celebrate it but as an outsider, I feel like it's more of a festival really.

Comment

• Championia
      Championia commented
      Editing a comment
      It surely looks like a festival with all the parades that they have. Of course, it does not look like the carnival in Brazil yet.

• LessSalt
      LessSalt commented
      Editing a comment
      Championia Why doesn't it look like a festival? Brazil really knows their stuff with these kind of things.

• AngstAngels
      AngstAngels commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm guessing that you don't have a friend who's a member of the community that's why you consider yourself as an outsider rather than an ally?

World is free-er than few years ago. Seeing it as an protest is not really relevant anymore.

Comment

• Pedaedia
      Pedaedia commented
      Editing a comment
      I do not think so. As years go by, the world becomes more free as people get more liberalized. I mean the world now is more free than the world in the past years. Anyway, I think that they should not protest anymore. They must use the parade as a celebration because now the world is more accepting than it was before.

• fuckashuck
      fuckashuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Pedaedia Don't you know how to comprehend? Those were the things that I wanted to point out; you just elaborated it.

It is definitely the time. But minorities are always be the minorities if the majority of the world is not aware.

Comment

• AlivePerfect
      AlivePerfect commented
      Editing a comment
      Their community would always be a minority but I think that the society is well aware of them. We see them everyday even on TV like Ellen.

So what do you think we can do about it? Actions are louder than words after all.

Comment

• AglowNum
      AglowNum commented
      Editing a comment
      The people just need to be a little more open minded.

• BearHug
      BearHug commented
      Editing a comment
      Or should we try voting for an openly gay country leaders? That should work, right?

I think they should still continue their parades as protests. By protesting, people would be able to know more about their plights. The world would be be able to see the things that they are fighting for.

Comment

• lilpup
      lilpup commented
      Editing a comment
      This makes sense to me. As long as the world does not fully recognize the things that they are fighting for, then they should continue to make their parades as protests.

I think this will turn out very nice in years to come by. This community is bigger than everyone expects.

Comment

• LessSalt
      LessSalt commented
      Editing a comment
      I really expect it t snowball into a bigger thing in our history. This concern everyone after all.

• financialcowbird
      financialcowbird commented
      Editing a comment
      They are increasing in numbers but they are not actually pro-creating. Oooppss, I just borrowed that argument from a joke that I had heard in the past.

I think that the mere act of calling it a protest is one of the reason the conditions are improving. Words really means a world today.

Comment

• AglowNum
      AglowNum commented
      Editing a comment
      I think that those parades helped their causes to be heard and be acted upon.

The ones who still believe the god created only man and woman are the ones who would treat that parade as a protest

Comment

• PieDish
      PieDish commented
      Editing a comment
      If god created only men and women as others claim, then who created the others? Remember that this god stated that it is he who created all things so there is a contradiction here.

It can actually be both if you think about it. Even if most people accept or tolerate them, there are still some who are against them. To those members of the lgbtq community who always felt that they're under attack, they might feel that it is a form of protest in terms of letting people know that they're here to stay and as a victory party as well to show that they're proud of what they are

Comment

• LoveHoney
      LoveHoney commented
      Editing a comment
      How about you? Do you see it as a victory party or a protest?

PearBear is right about it can actually be both. Those who are members of the community and allies considers it as a parade and the ones who are against it will assume that it is a protest masquerading as a parade

Comment

• TassetTasty
      TassetTasty commented
      Editing a comment
      And I'm guessing that you identify as an ally?
Working...
X